Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!


Since it's Mother's Day, I thought I'd share with you one of my favorite mother/daughter picture books: Someday by Alison McGhee.

I have read this book countless times, and yet I still tear up every single time I read it. I'm actually tearing up a bit right now just thinking about it! I just love this book. The pictures are so subtle and beautiful. The words are just perfect - exactly what I want to say to Millie as she grows up, and exactly how I think my mom feels as she watches me (her baby) with my little girl.

"One day I counted your fingers and kissed each one" ... "Someday you will swing high—so high, higher than you ever dared to swing" ... "Someday I will stand on this porch and watch your arms waving to me until I no longer see you" ... "Someday I will watch you brushing your child's hair"

Someday is the perfect Mother's Day gift! If a child is giving the present - trace his or her hand in the front cover to remind the receiver just how small their "baby" was when they received the book.

I hope all you moms out there are having a fabulous day! You are all doing such an amazing, important job! We are rock stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment