Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Harold and the Purple Crayon



"One night, after thinking it over for some time, Harold decided to go for a walk in the moonlight."

I thought we'd start with a classic (and currently one of Millie's favorites!): Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson. I love this book both for its simplicity and its language (with phrases such as "trim little boat" and "a deserving porcupine") . Millie enjoys the part where Harold climbs up a mountain and slips off the other side! Also, the nine kinds of pie.

Harold has such a fantastic imagination! In just a few pages, he goes on a thrilling adventure with only a simple purple crayon in his hand.

Johnson wrote many other Harold books, so this would be a great series to start collecting for your child (so far we've only read "Harold's Circus," one of my husband's favorites!).

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book! I think the author was a genius!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete